THE RAVENNA MOSAIC COMPANY:  A RETROSPECTIVE

RAVENNA IN ST. LOUIS
  During Ravenna’s nearly seventy-year tenure in St. Louis, they executed a large number of local commissions and did much to beautify the city’s religious and secular spaces. While their most prominent commission is the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis, the largest single collection of mosaic in the world, Ravenna’s work can be found throughout the city and county and in Illinois. Among their earliest local commissions was the 1931 mural in the altar area of Shaare Emeth Temple in University City (now owned by Webster University), but they also decorated the Soldier’s Memorial on Market St., the National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows in Belleville, Ill., and numerable churches and cemeteries throughout the region. Below is a selected list of local commissions where one can find Ravenna’s work.

Our Lady of the Snows (Belleville, Ill.)

Our Lady of the Snows Residence Chapel (Belleville, Ill.)

Immacolata Church (Richmond Heights)

St. John’s Mercy Medical Center Chapel (Town and Country)

Saint Louis University Hospital Chapel Entrance (South Grand)

St. Gabriel’s Catholic Church (South City)

St. Mary’s Medical Center Convent Chapel (Richmond Heights)

Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis (Central West End)

St. Louis Veterans’ Memorial (Downtown)

Pius V Catholic Church (South Grand)

St. Cecilia’s Catholic Church (South City)

Valhalla Cemetery Mausoleum (North City)

Calvary Cemetery Mausoleum (North City)

Resurrection Cemetery (South City)

St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church (South City)

Sisters of Mercy Provincialate (West County)

7-Up Building (North County)

 

 

 


RAVENNA MOSAIC  HOME