All reproduction requests are subject to review to determine the suitability of the materials and of their condition for reproduction. All patrons must complete a Reproduction Request form. Consult the Fee Schedule for Reproductions for the desired format and corresponding fees for reproductions. Normal delivery time is three to six weeks.
Reproduction requests are subject to the following limits:
- Not more than 10% of a published work in copyright may be reproduced.
- Requests from the same individual within a single month will not be fulfilled for more than 20 high-resolution scans, 100 medium resolution JPGs, or 100 photocopies.
- Large projects undertaken for Saint Louis University students, faculty, staff, and alumni/ae are subject to staff approval and must be initiated sufficiently in advance to permit time for execution within the limits above.
- The Special Collections Department reserves the right to prohibit the reproduction of any of its holdings.
Saint Louis University students, faculty, staff, and alumni/ae receive the following services at no charge (though they are responsible for materials, e.g., CD-ROMs, or shipping/handling charges):
- Upload of images from departmental digital camera
- Medium-resolution JPG scans
- High-resolution scans
Please consult a subject area specialist before submitting a reproduction request.
- Archives & Manuscripts: John Waide
- Medieval Manuscripts: Susan L’Engle
- Rare Books: Jennifer Lowe
- Vatican Film Library Printed Books on Microfilm: VFL
Forms may be submitted in the reading room or by post. Address requests to the relevant subject area specialist at:
- Department of Special Collections
Pius XII Memorial Library
Saint Louis University
3650 Lindell Boulevard
Saint Louis, MO 63108
Permissions for Publication
There is no fee charged for permission to publish. All patrons are responsible for obtaining required permissions from copyright holders for works still in copyright. Not more than 10% of a published work in copyright may be reproduced.
All reproductions for use in a publication, or for promotional purposes, or on a website must credit the source of the item as “Saint Louis University Libraries Special Collections.”
Hand-Held Digital Camera Use
Patrons may use their personal hand-held digital cameras in our reading rooms, or they may use our departmental (St. Louis Room) camera. Upload of images from the departmental camera is charged at a rate of $20 per upload for non-Saint Louis University affiliates. Hand-held digital cameras may be used in our reading rooms under the following terms and conditions:
- Patrons must sign the Hand-Held Digital Camera Agreement.
- Only hand-held digital cameras are allowed. Please do not use flash. You may not use a tripod, special lighting (except that provided by Special Collections staff) or extra equipment, or take any extraordinary measures, such as standing on furniture, to take a photograph.
- When taking photographs of pages in a book, the book must remain in a book cradle at all times. Do not attempt to flatten out the book.
- All images must display the following credit (a slip will be supplied): “Saint Louis University Libraries Special Collections.”
- Not more than 10% of a published work in copyright may be reproduced and not more than 25% of a manuscript or archival collection may be reproduced.
- Reproductions are for private study, use in scholarly presentations, or research purposes only. Images for web or print publication or for exhibition must be ordered through the library.
All photocopy requests are subject to review to determine the suitability of the materials and their condition for reproduction. The first five photocopies are provided to all patrons on-site free of charge. For requests from a distance or for requests of six or more copies, consult the Fee Schedule for Reproductions. All patrons must complete a Reproduction Request form.
Knights of Columbus Vatican Film Library Materials
Copies of manuscripts and other materials on microfilm or microfiche may be made by researchers themselves on site only for purposes of private study, scholarship, or research within the limitations of fair use title 17, sec. 107, US Code. Requests from a distance cannot be fulfilled.
Reproductions of complete manuscripts or other materials, or parts thereof for purposes of publication, and permissions to publish these images, must be obtained directly from the institutions that hold the original materials. For Vatican Library manuscripts, contact the Vatican Library’s Office of Reproductions and Rights:
- Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana
Ufficio Riproduzioni e Diritti
V-00120 Città del Vaticano
Department of Special Collections, Pius XII Memorial Library, Saint Louis University, 3650 Lindell Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63108